Thursday, February 7, 2008

We're Off To See The Wizard...

The Wizard...that is one thing I have heard people call Dr. Schoolcraft. Instead of playing the part of the cowardly lion, tin man or scarecrow, we just went out in hopes of finding a way to make our family complete...so I guess you could call us the tin man since we were in search of our heart. We had our "one-day workup" of tests on Monday, October 29, 2007. This was a day full of tests on both of us. Blood tests, ultrasounds, ummm, Ryan's "test", my hysteroscopy and consultation after consultation (nurse, doctor, financial, etc). They even sent me home with requisitions to have more tests done. In Denver, everything was either as it should be or the diagnosis' we already knew about (PCOS and morphology). The last test I had to have done was an integrin (or uterine) biopsy. And yes, it was about as comfortable as it sounds. I have endured a lot over the course of the last 3 years...this test was by far the worst. I hope to never have to revisit that. It did, however, finally give us some answers. We found that my uterus lacks the beta-3 integrins required to make implantation of an embryo possible. The best part is that it can be treated. I will have to get injections (2 injections 30 days apart) of a drug called "depot-lupron". This drug will put my body into a "medically induced, reversable menopause". Sounds like fun, huh?! After I stop the drug, my lining will come back and should have the integrins. Hopefully, this is the answer to our prayers.

Some people have asked us when will we feel like enough is enough. I don't really know how to answer that. I guess it will be enough when we have our baby (or babies) to hold. What we do know is this...we will be parents, one way or another. Whatever we have to do to get there, we are gonna do it.

No comments: